T.B. Scott mansion, Merrill
The T.B. Scott mansion was built by a man named Thomas Blythe Scott who was a rich lumber broker. The mansion was built in 1884 when Merrill was still a small village, and was accupied by Scott until he died two years later in 1886.
The building has passed down through several owners until it settled into the ownership of the sisters of the holy cross. It is believed the building is still under their ownership.
The land were the mansion was built is thought to have been cursed by a native American chief as it was classed as sacred ground. The most common ghost story known at this location goes as follows:
One day, a group of French traders came to the village and were accepted as guest by the cheif himself. The chief asked his daughter to serve the men dinner. One of the traders decided he'd like to see more of her and they saw each other in secret, nine months later she died in childbirth.
By the time she died the traders were long gone, and the cheif wasn't able to aim his revenge at the man who had violated his daughter. In his grief and anger the chief had her buried on the hill across the river from his village, but he cursed the hill for eternity. The chief's final prayer was asking the great spirits to let his daughter rest and never grant prosperity to any white men in the area.
The apparition of the chiefs girl has been seen in the tower of the mansion, it is thought to be the cheifs daughter as no other stories in the area seem as fitting for a ghost tale. Lights have also been seen flickering in the building from empty rooms and the feeling of a strong presence has also been reported.